Friday, August 13, 2010

Run for the Kiddos! 100 miles for the students of St. Gerard High School


It's official: I'm running for the kiddos! On October 30, 2010, I will be running 100 miles - yes, 100 miles - to help raise money for the kids of St. Gerard High School in San Antonio, Texas. The money I raise will go to towards the Melissa Villapando Memorial Scholarship, which is awarded to junior students who excel academically and display exemplary commitment to volunteerism and community service. The recipient uses the money to help pay their high school tuition. Hard work, community involvement, and strong moral character are highly cherished values at St. Gerard. You can help promote these same values by donating money to my run!

Why should you care?


These kids are our future! The values we promote and nurture within them now will help shape the rest of their lives. There is an old Ashanti proverb that says, "It takes a whole village to raise a child." We are that village. All of us. In a very real sense, you have the ability to play a role in these students' education. When you donate money, you are contributing to their future.

About the school


St. Gerard is a wonderful school in a closely-knit community of good, hard-working people. Since 1927, this school has provided high-quality Catholic education to its students. Graduating students have gone on to serve in religious life, the medical profession, local and state politics, social services, law enforcement, the field of labor relations and the business world at large. Ninety-one percent of graduates go on to college with many Seniors taking Educational and Technical courses for college dual credits. St. Gerard also offers its students the opportunity to participate in a variety of sports, organizations, and extracurricular activities. These include National Honor Society, Cheerleaders, Student Council, Mu Alpha Theta, Royal Ambassadors, Dance Team, football, basketball, baseball, tennis, and volleyball.

Be apart of the St. Gerard tradition and donate today. Do your part and set a good example for these kids. Please visit the St. Gerard website here.

A little about me
My name is Gerard Martinez and I am a law school student and ultrarunner from San Antonio, Texas. Running has helped change my life, and I have lost over 180 pounds since I picked it up in 2008. I believe in the power of a balanced diet and in maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle. My dream is to inspire others, especially children, to be active, healthy citizens and to give back to their community.

The Run
In October, I will be doing my part by running a 100 mile race. The Cactus Rose 100-Mile Ultramarathon is put on by Tejas Trails. It is described as "a nasty, rugged trail run," not for "whiners, wimps, or wusses." I will have 36 hours to complete the race. I will set out at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 30, through the trails of the State Natural Area in Bandera in the Texas Hill Country. I will run all day and all night and into the next day. You will be able to follow my progress at Tejas Trails and on my blog at http://theboywholovestorun.blogspot.com.

Running 100 miles without stopping is tough. It requires a good amount of endurance. But, more importantly, it requires a purpose. There will be many times during the race when I will want to quit. But, I will think of the kids during the moments of distress. I will do it for them, because I know that they are the future and they are worth the sacrifice.
What you can do

If you want to make a difference in these kids' lives, send in a check or money order made out to "St. Gerard High School" to the following address:
St. Gerard Catholic High School
Melissa Villapando Memorial Scholarship/100 Mile Run
521 South New Braunfels Ave.
San Antonio, TX 78203-1798
(210) 533-8061
Or you can call the school office for more information at 210-533-8061. Any amount is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your contribution and for supporting the kids!

-Gerard Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment