Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Some of my favorite health foods

People tend to think of health foods as bland and flavorless, but that's not always the case. Here are some specialty items that I think are really tasty:


These yeast flakes are so great! You have to try them. They have a nutty, cheesy flavor that goes so well on popcorn. I remember the first time I tried them. I went to a small, art-house theater in Austin, and bought a bag of air-popped popcorn. There on the counter, they had the usual butter and salt condiments. But, I was watching what I ate, so those items were ruled out for me. But, I was instantly attracted to the yeast flakes, not least because the label had the word "nutritional" on it. I'm glad I tried them. I fell in love. And, it turns out, they are pretty healthy.


Bragg Liquid Aminos is perfect for salads! It is like soy sauce, but better! It makes a terrific broth. Trust me, it is delicious. All it is, really, is vegetable protein from soybeans.


Herbamare is a flavorful alternative to table salt. It is basically just sea salt with some herbs mixed in: celery leaves, leek, chive, rosemary, basil, thyme, parsley, etc. I think it works really well on vegetables. It somehow manages to enhance the flavor of the vegetables in a way that ordinary table salt cannot.



Weird. Almond imitation cheese. It has no cholesterol, saturated fat, or preservatives. It's mostly just crushed almonds. That is the base for this cheese imitation product. But does it taste good? Well, I love cheese. Nothing can hold a candle to real cheese, in my opinion. But, it's best to not think of this product as an imitation. Rather, think of it as something separate, something that stands on its own. It has a really mild nutty, creamy flavor. It's quite good, actually. But, if you think of it as a cheese alternative, which it is, you may be disappointed.

What are your favorite health foods?

No comments:

Post a Comment