Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fat, Cashew Butter, and Other Such Random Musings...


Fat does not necessarily make you fat. We all know that. And, we all need some healthy fat in our diets. It isn't bad for you, per se. But, it is easy to overeat it. Compared to the other macronutrients, fat should comprise a relatively small percent of your diet. As an ultrarunner, I like to stick to the 60/20/20 ratio. That is: 60% of my daily calorie intake comes from carbs, 20% from protein, and 20% from fat. I like this ratio. It works for me. So how do I get my fat?



Well, lately, I notice I've been relying heavily on cashew butter. I love the stuff. I eat it with just about anything. The thing about cashew butter is, it can be sweet or it can be salty. I used to smear some on some on whole wheat bread and squirt some honey on top, but since I turned vegan, no more honey for me. Insert sad face! Seriously though, you should try this magical, rich, creamy food.

Speaking of fat, have you ever heard of the website This is Why You're Fat? It is a site that features really fatty, really unhealthy food concoctions that people have made or eaten. Most of the food looks really gross. Some items look, I'm ashamed to admit, intriguing. Here are some of my favorite gross-outs:

Chocolate-covered bacon on a stick...



Spam fries...




And the best: deep-fried lard balls with powdered sugar sprinkled on top...



Now, take some time to recover. These are obviously NOT the kinds of fats you want in your diet. Try some cashew butter instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment