Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Updates on the Melissa Villapando Memorial Scholarship


Just today I received an e-mail from the scholarship committee regarding the Melissa Villapando Memorial Scholarship, for which I raised over $1000 running Cactus Rose 100. Here is the letter I received:

---------------------------------------

Dear Gerard,

I just wanted to thank you again for all your help in raising the money for my mother's scholarship. This scholarship means so much to me and my family and is the best way we know to keep my mother's memory alive in the catholic community. I do apologize for not providing information on the candidates who applied. There were only two and the names were Jose Castillas and Maria Fernandez. Both were very good candidates but the winner was obvious due to presentation of application, grades, and amount of service and involvement.

I have been in contact with St. Gerard since the scheduled ring mass. The ring mass was canceled and I was given another date to present the award. Then I was given another date for tomorrow, May 11 at 9:30 am. It would be great if you could make it but I do understand it is really short notice. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you again,

Kimberly Villapando


------------------------------------

Unfortunately, I cannot make the mass since I am stuck in Lubbock taking law school final exams. So I won't be able to meet the recipient. However, I asked Kimberly if she could tell the kids something for me. Here was my response to Kimberly's note:

------------------------------------

Kimberly,

I'm so glad you found some awesome student to receive the scholarship! It was my pleasure to give back to the community. Unfortunately, I cannot make it to the mass. I am in Lubbock right now taking law school finals. But, if you can, would you make an announcement for me? Please tell the kids to hold on to their dreams and to work hard towards their goals - whatever those goals may be. Tell them to dream big and to never give up on those dreams!

I ran 100 miles at Rocky Raccoon 100 on February 5. I am currently training for a 200 mile run in Yellowstone on October 15. Tell them that the sky is the limit and to never forget to give back to their community.

-Gerry


----------------------------------

So there it is. Thank you to those of you who donated to my run. You have helped one special student and their family! I asked Kimberly to update me on who receives the scholarship. I will post updates as I receive them.

No comments:

Post a Comment